Since 1996, Microjustice’s mission is to promote universal access to legal rights protection and affordable legal aid in line with UN Sustainable Development Goal 16 ‘Leaving no- one behind’.
People on paper have so many rights and obligations according to the legal framework of their country, but in practice people cannot enjoy many of their rights and entitlements. People need to arrange their legal rights protection and get legal assistance in order to become citizens, and to get out of the poverty spiral of living as victims in informality, unable to protect their belongings, work-related income, and entitlements. All these concerns the basic legal needs that Microjustice has as its mission to work on.
The general purpose of Microjustice is to promote Universal Access to Legal Aid and Legal Rights Protection for All, in the field of administrative and private law. This purpose is enhanced by working on the following two objectives:
1. The ‘People’ in country are informed about their rights and obligations & can enforce them (SDG 16.2) through the Digital Legal Aid Platform for their country:
- Strengthened knowledge of their rights & obligations, standards, opportunities of the system and legal processes
- Affordable, quality legal aid
- Distribution system established.
2. The ‘State’ of a country is well prepared to support people to be legally protected (SDG 16.3) through the Legal Rights Protection Barometer that provides:
- Recommendations for the organisation of the legal profession to allow for Affordable legal aid services, and in this perspective to counter the negative effects of their ‘price monopoly’ in many countries
- Recommendations for an affordable system of Universal Access to legal aid (free or affordable quality legal services).
- Recommendations for improved accessibility of the legal & institutional framework
- indicators and specific objectives developed for SDG 16, especially for in the field of civil justice: access, transparent & effective institutions & inclusive societies
The impact of Microjustice Legal Rights Protection Program:
- Exist in society, and have access to the services and benefits e.g.: education, health care, banking,
- Promote entrepreneurial activities
- Promote political, cultural and all other types of engagement in local communities, accessing the competences, subsidies and programs provided by the law and policies
- Protection as person, including one’s belongings
- Prevent conflict between people
- Provide confidence in society and one-another
- Discourage breaching of the law
- Reducing court cases